BUSHLOG photo archive Correspondents 15

From BBC staff magazine,Ariel, June 1967 (reformatted to fit web page)
From BBC staff magazine, Ariel, June 1967 Abdullah al Asnag Ken Brazier Keith Skinner Doug Smith
BACK in London after almost two months in Aden is Television News team David Tindall (reporter), Doug Smith (cameraman), and Keith Skinner (soundman).

During this period of strikes, street battles, and almost nightly terrorist acts of sabotage, the crew were on the spot practically everywhere there was big trouble. They managed to provide London with daily television coverage - even when there were no civil planes flying out of Aden. They asked servicemen returning to London on RAF flights to take back film for them.

During the first fortnight - whenever they had an hour or two to spare - the team spent the time getting to know the two main Arab danger zones. By the time the United Nations Mission arrived and terrorism began in earnest they knew the areas like their own home towns. During violent demonstrations involving a thousand or more people they were able to weave their way through a maze of alley ways as complicated as Hampton Court maze to the flashpoint of the trouble. . . the spot where grenade attacks against British troops were most likely to take place, where street battles would be most hectic.

While the UN Mission were in Aden the team decided to move into the most dangerous spots before the troops. . . just to make sure the camera didn't miss any thing once the firing began. It was a risk correspondents were willing to take. Some times bullets and grenades landed only a few yards from the BBC team. After one operation - a machine-gun battle that lasted two hours - General Sir John Willoughby told them he thought it was amazing that they hadn't suffered any casual ties.

One day when demonstrators were hurling grenades at British soldiers a terrorist gunman jumped into the car David Tindall was trying to manoeuvre through the area. And as the battle heightened the man threatened one of the soldiers. The reporter snatched the revolver away from him and he was later arrested.

Terrorist gunmen eventually agreed to take the crew, Doug Smith, Keith Skinner and Ken Brazier of Bush House, to see their leader Abdullah al Asnag at Taiz in the Yemen - seventy-five miles away across hazardous mountain tracks. During the two-day trip the crew lived on rough rations except for the night they spent in Yemen hotel where the pièce de résistance was goat, beans, and chips.